Wednesday, December 7, 2016

December 7th


It’s sad how many people I talk to who don’t know the significance of December 7th.  Many tell me it means there are only 17 more shopping days before Christmas.  My heart just sinks.  I may not have been born in the Greatest Generation, but I was taught the significance of this day well.  It is the anniversary of the sneak attack by Japan on the Hawaiian Islands and most notably Pearl Harbor.  When I point it out people they say, “Oh, the happened today?” or “What’s Pearl Harbor?”  When I hear this last question the ignorance bothers me and I tell them it was every bit as bad if not worse than the 911 bombings.  It dragged the United States into a war costing hundreds of thousands of American lives that could only be ended by dropping 2 nuclear bombs on Japan.  For the civilians and soldiers that died that day all that we can do is remember them.  Perhaps there’s a brief mention on the nightly news about the anniversary.  It is just sad when this day comes up and few remember it and fewer will remember in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment