Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Editing


I am going through edits for my fourth book, “Repercussions Abound.”  This is actually my second time going through the edits.  You see there is a process to editing a book.  If you have followed my blogs over the years you might remember this.  I send in the manuscript.  The editor then tears it apart and finds twelve different sections they want written differently.  The problem is, I wrote the story the way I did for a reason and so I end up fighting back and forth to save my “Babies” that I have created against the slash and burn of the editor who wants it written their own way.  After going back and forth, you give a little and they give a little.  In the end neither of you is totally happy but you have your book finally done.  When I received the new edits I expected the usual battle.  Then I went to work.  There were some minor spelling and grammatical errors but the big line of red through a section of the writing never appeared.  I reached the end in record time and was in a state of shock.  Then I started to wonder.  Had I just written a novel without disputable points or did the editor skim through the document?  Was it bad that there weren’t any areas of contention?  I consulted my wife with my concerns.  She said, “So let me get this straight, you’re upset because they DIDN’T find anything wrong with your book?”  Am I just paranoid because I have been brutalized in the past?  Maybe so.  I am doing a second edit just to make sure everything is up to snuff but then I will send it back.  I am proud of this book.  It is definitely some of my best writing.  Let’s hope this second edit goes well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment