Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Phone Envy


I think I have phone envy.  Let me start by saying I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone which I basically use to call, text and occasionally get on the internet and Facebook.  It works for me.  People see it, though, and react as though I have the Brick from the 1980s.  Whenever someone pulls out their phone it is always bigger and cooler than mine.  It is faster and better at hooking up to the internet than mine.  The picture is better.  I don’t even want to show people cool things I’ve found on the internet on my phone because I feel embarrassed.  Yet, I don’t feel I should get rid of this one.  It’s still working and it’s not costing me anything.  Still it’s a sad little phone.  On top of that I have I-Phone envy.  It’s like the world has switched to I-Phones.  All the Apple users make their phones seem ultra-cool.  My daughter has one and loves it more than any other gift we have given her…and that includes a laptop!  However, I have my reservations about these phones.  For one, I don’t want to become part of the Apple machine where everything you buy has to be an Apple to go with what you have.  Something else I’ve noticed is about half the I-Phones I see have cracked glass on the screens.  It must be an issue and an expensive one to repair.  Even with all that, though, they still have really cool phones.  So here I sit with my Galaxy S3 staring at it as it blinks.  There is nothing wrong with this phone except it is old and slow.  I wouldn’t get rid of a dog for those reasons.  Is a phone so much different?  Not to mention that a new phone will cost a lot of money, while this one is free.  I don’t surf the web much on my phone but maybe that would change if I had a new faster one.  This I not a need but a want.  It is a status symbol and will be outdated by the time I leave the store with it.  Then what will happen?  I’ll be paying off this new phone and be wanting the latest cool phone.  There’s always going to be a new, cool phone.  Logically, I should wait until this one starts acting up and then buy one.  Unfortunately, it is hard to separate emotion from logic in this instance.   I want a new phone.  I don’t need one.  It looks as though the logical side will win this argument…unless an awesome sale comes along.     

No comments:

Post a Comment