Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Break From Editing @Solsticepublish

I am in the middle of edits for “Sapphire Crucible”.  Before starting on them I was reminded of something Frank Sinatra once said.  The essence of the statement was that it was difficult to go out night after night and sing the same songs with the same enthusiasm as he first had in singing them.  The bulk of this book has been done for over 25 years with many revisions along the way.  Naturally I expected in editing that it would be laborious and painstaking.  It turns out that I could not have been more wrong.  I have spent the vast majority of my time over the last year promoting “Quest for the Red Sapphire”.  As great a book as it is, I find myself wanting to spend more time on the 3rd book in the series. (I will withhold the name so as not to give anything away.)  It was a new and exciting project even though the story has been done in my head for decades.  Now it has come time for the edits and I found myself dreading the dissection of my work. To my surprise, most of the major changes have been worked through between my editor and me.  As a result, reading the story is like finding an old friend again and catching up on the past.  There were parts and subtle nuances I had forgotten over the many years.  Though I have a great deal still to read, I find it new and exciting to read the story. “Sapphire Crucible” is probably my favorite in the series of books I have planned.  There is mystery, intrigue, romance and more action than you would think could go into a book.  I actually had to pull myself away from editing to write this blog.  It all serves to remind me how lucky I am that I am able to write.  The entire process is a joy for me.  First I come up with the story, lay it all out in order and then write it.  Afterward I reread it and fix any glaring errors.  Then I send it to my publisher and it is assigned to an editor.  The unseen holes are fixed and then I get to read it once more before sharing it with the world.  I love storytelling and writing for me is exactly that.  Others can paint or draw or sing or play an instrument.  I have been blessed to be able to write.   Many people can write.  I am one of the lucky few who actually get to do it.  For me there is nothing more fulfilling.  With that in mind, I will happily return to my editing.  Make sure you are brushed up on “Quest for the Red Sapphire”.  “Sapphire Crucible” is going to blow your mind! 

No comments:

Post a Comment