Saturday, February 1, 2014

Laryngitis @Solsticepublish

As a writer I have come to appreciate many great things.  I especially love being able to express myself through the written word.  There is just so much you can convey to others when you sit down and think about what you want to write.  Thankfully that is a gift I have not had to sacrifice (except during the occasional computer failure).  During this week, however, I have had to go without the ability to speak because I came down with several things including laryngitis.  Imagine going to the drive-through pharmacy and they can’t understand your name to get your prescription.  I had to go get my twelve year old daughter and have her talk into the microphone just so I could get my medicine.  We needed some things at the grocery store and I had to have her ask the clerk where to find something and then do all the talking at the checkout.   It would have been easier if they had asked questions that could be answered with “Yes” or “No”.  Instead, they asked things like, “Will this be paper or plastic?”  I pointed at one but they didn’t get it.  Fortunately my daughter knew the answer.  Then they asked, “How did you want to pay for this?”  I held up my check-card and the lady asked, “Credit or debit?”  Oh man!  I started making the swiping gesture.   She just said, “Yes, I know you want to swipe it but how do you want it processed?”  Next I made the words with my mouth but she still couldn’t understand me.  Fortunately, my daughter stepped in.  “He said he wants to use it as credit and have it put in paper bags.  Also, we could use some help out to the car with our purchase.”   What a godsend!  I patted her on the head and then hugged her.  She thought nothing of it and calmly led the clerk after the transaction to our car where she told me to get in and she would tell him where everything went.  I could not have made it without her.   My love is writing but I have sure missed talking this week.  My wife finds it a refreshing silence from my incessant rambling.  With my birthday last Tuesday, family called and could not understand me on the phone.  I was shouting and they kept asking, “What?”  It was like one of those commercials for the cellular carrier when they would ask, “Can you hear me now?”  What is hardest of all this is that I need to rest my voice so my throat can heal.  That is one tall order.  Imagine communicating with others without speaking.  I have a new found respect for deaf/mutes   It’s as though I am speaking another language except I’m not speaking.  This has gone on for nearly a week and I for one am more than ready to have it end.

No comments:

Post a Comment